It is named after the town of Brighton in the English city of Brighton and Hove. For its first 160 years Brighton was part of Cambridge and was known as "Little Cambridge." Throughout much of its early history it was a rural town with a significant commercial center at its eastern end. Brighton separated from Cambridge in 1807 after a bridge dispute and was later annexed to Boston, in 1874. The neighborhood of Allston was also formerly part of the City of Brighton, but is now often considered separately, leading to the moniker Allston-Brighton for the combined area.
Multi-family homes and condominiums line the streets of this welcoming neighborhood, which is located in the northwest corner of Boston, on the shores of the Charles River. Many of Brighton's small businesses are located along Washington Street, which runs straight through Brighton Center to Oak Square. The Brighton Center Main Streets Program has been actively attracting new businesses to the neighborhood, as well as offering grants for storefront renovations. St. Elizabeth's Hospital and the Franciscan Children's Hospital also call Brighton home. Families, young professionals and graduates students are all lured to Brighton for its tranquil yet dynamic atmosphere.
Updated: 19th October, 2019 7:46 PM.